Pre-Trade Training School (PTTS), one of the oldest units of Pakistan Air Force, is located at Kohat, a beautiful and historical city of Khyber Pukhtun Khwa Province. It has a long and glorious history. This institution commenced its splendid journey soon after the independence of our beloved homeland Pakistan in 1947, at Drigh Road (now Faisal) under the name of ‘Recruits Training Centre’. It was shifted to Lahore in 1948. The same year it moved to Kohat and was redesignated as ‘Recruits' Training School’. With the conversion of Recruits and Apprentices entries into Aero Support and Aero Technician streams respectively in December 1987, it was renamed as Pre-Trade Training School. Almost all airmen of PAF have undergone training at this premier institution besides trainees of various friendly countries who went back fully satisfied and confident after training, to undertake all challenges in their own countries.
To meet the modern times challenges, the role and task of the unit is to impart basic training to the newly inducted trainees in three different entries in a year. Academic training is based on conceptual learning, conducted by qualified instructors using modern techniques.
Mainly, the training is divided into two portions, which are complementary to each other. These parts are:-
Academic training includes teaching of English, Physics, Mathematics, Islamic Studies, Pak Studies and Computer Fundamentals. For this purpose, qualified Education Instructors are employed. A highly conducive and encouraging classroom environment is maintained
To instill a sense of courage and weapon handling discipline amongst the trainees. Special emphasis on drill through saluting test, Inter -Sqn Drill Competition and Inter- Sqn Firing competition are conducted
Classrooms are well-furnished and spacious. Each classroom has been renovated and new lighting system, along with exhaust fans, fans and arm chairs have been provided to make the environment highly favorable for learning. Neat and clean atmosphere has been made available. White writing boards and markers are used in the classes. Furthermore, multimedia, screen and computers are used in each classroom for the Computer Based Instructions (CBI).
The role and task of library is to provide maximum facilities for reading, research in all subjects. A well-stocked library which includes 19000 books on science, technology, medical, religion, history, language and literature are available to help the trainees to develop their knowledge-base and reading habits. Moreover, library also provides three magazines and four newspapers.
This lab provides opportunities to listen and watch the English language communication through audio and video facilities. The existing language lab Wicom-2000 was established in 2001 with thirty-six booths. The aim is to enhance the communicative competence and comprehension level of English in the trainees.
A new language lab having 31 computers with Berlitz language software has been established for teaching English language to the trainees on modern lines.
Two latest computer labs consisting of 61 computers have been established. Qualified JCOs of IT branch are teaching computer basics to the trainees. The unit has a well-equipped Physics Laboratory. The trainees make use of these labs as per schedule to increase their practical knowledge.
Good quality food is provided in the trainees’ messes. Water purification system is available in the messes to provide fresh and quality water. Special dinner is served in the messes on every weekend in which trainees eat a variety of food. Sweet dish and fruits are also provided after lunch / dinner. Bedding and clothing of summer and winter is provided to the trainees. Hot water facility has also been provided in all the squadrons for the provision of hot water to the trainees during winter.
Daily games are supervised in the evening. Sports gears have been provided to the squadrons for keeping sense of competition alive among the trainees. Inter Squadron sports contest are being held to inculcate the sense of competition in the trainees.
After completion of training at PTTS, PAF trainees are further directed to their respective trade-training schools. There are number of schools which are listed below :-
School Of Electronics is located at PAF Base, Korangi Creek Karachi. School of Electronics (SOE) was establishment as RPAF apprentices' school at Drigh road in 1950. In 1953 it was shifted to Signals and Radar School PAF station Malir and renamed as SOE. In 1963, School of Electronics was shifted to Korangi Base. Since its establishment, 59538 trainees (including 897 foreigners and 686 from sister services) have graduated from SOE.
The aim of SOE is to conduct trade training of airmen of Radio, Radar, Radar Operator, Air Traffic Control and Ground Signal Observer trades, and to develop the faculty through B-Tech program and other supervisory level courses.
Training at SOE is a blend of academic subjects, specialty trade subjects and General Service Training. Examination system at SOE is designed to evaluate the conceptual understanding of the trainees. Method of instructions include classroom lectures followed by extensive practical training in laboratories, workshops, model rooms, library, conference rooms, language lab and computer labs.
School of Aeronautics (SOA) is located at PAF Base Korangi Creek, Karachi. The history of School of Aeronautics (SOA) dates back to independence of Pakistan when a Trade Training School was established at Drigh Road in 1947. Later in 1950, Royal Pakistan Air Force (RPAF) Apprentice School was established at Korangi Creek under contract with Air Training Services Limited (ATS) to provide instructional staff and to meet all other requirements of the institution. In 1951, Liaqat Ali Khan, the first Prime Minister of Pakistan, formally inaugurated this school. The charter assigned to the institution was technical training of airmen in Airframe, Engine, Electric, Instrument, Armament, Radar and Radio trades. In 1965, Trade Training school was amalgamated with Apprentice Training School at Korangi Creek and the combined facility was named as SOA. In 1985, the designation of an Apprentice was changed to Aero Technician.
SOA carries out technical training of Pakistani and foreign trainees in Aero Tech and Aero Support trades and also conducts specialized short courses for Airmen as and when required by the Air Headquarters.
Administrative Trades Training School (ATTS) was established at Maripur (Masroor) in 1948 to train Airmen of Non-Tech Trades. Transiting through Lower Topa and Faisal, the School was shifted to Kohat and named as Administrative Trades Training School in 1958. MT Training School (working under Army Signal Centre Kohat) was merged into ATTS in 1961. Supply Training Squadron of ATTS was given the status of a separate unit as School of Logistics in 1992. GC Training School transiting through Chashma, Mushaf and Malir was shifted to Kohat in 1994.
ATTS imparts trade training in 07 trades i.e Admin Asstt, Sectt Asstt, FF, Provost, GC, MTM and MTD to trainees and airmen of PAF as well as of friendly forces. ATTS conducts the JCO (T) portion courses in all above Mentioned trades and also provide Basic, Advanced and Refresher Driving Training to PAF Airmen and newly inducted Civilian Drivers of PAF. ATTS also carries out the Familiarization Courses (for newly inducted civilians of PAF) and Basic Courses of UDCs / LDCs.
Interactive mode of Teaching and Eclectic Approach is adopted by the instructors to realize the concept of revitalized training.
ATTS is well equipped with various types of Training Aids ranging from Panaflex Charts, models to films and Multi-Media Projectors. An automobile simulator, Dual Control Vehicle & Digital Crane (for civilian drivers only), a language lab and a computer lab are also established to train civilians on the modern methods of teaching. Examination system for professional training includes written / online computer-based exams.
Civilian Employees form an integral part of the Pakistan Air Force. Since the inception of PAF, the civilian employees have played a vital role in its progression to achieve the highest standards of excellence.Truly, they are considered as the backbone of the PAF. PAF civilians are the separate entity who perform their assigned duties efficiently and effectively in over 100 different Cadres / Trades. They comprise 39% of PAF strength and provide continuity to operations / Adm1nistrative tasks. They are inducted because they are very cost effective in terms of pay/ allowances, facilities etc. For proper training of the PAF civilians, four weeks familiarization course and basic training course of two weeks is conducted at initial employment. In accordance with Federal Government policy, civilian officers are sent to Pakistan Computer Bureau, Islamabad to attend advance computer courses whereas civilian staff is sent for initial computer training. Apart from the aforesaid, opportunities to attend short duration inland courses in civil institutes are also provided to deserving civilian officers subject to PAF requirements.